Thursday, October 30, 2014

Why playing freeze tag will make you a better parent (and athlete)




We gathered on the field, scattered across the green expanse. The four of us eyed each other cautiously. All of a sudden, we each started running across the field as fast as we could, darting in different directions and trying to escape my husband’s hands.

We were playing freeze tag and Ed was “It”.

I can’t remember the last time that I played freeze tag. It must have been elementary school. When Jasper asked if we could play together, my first instinct was to groan and find a way out of it. The last thing I wanted to do was run around and play tag.

But for some reason, both Ed and I agreed and we set out on a harried game. It was the most fun I have had in a long time.

I sprinted and laughed and screamed. I let go. I felt carefree.

As a grown-up and as a parent, there are so many roles we play. Most of those roles revolve around being responsible and pulled together – in short, to be an adult. But that doesn’t mean (shouldn’t mean) that we forget how to be carefree.

I think it was one of the few times that my kids have seen me with my guard down, completely down. I think that they need to see that every once in a while. I think that they need to see Mommy and Daddy running around and acting silly. I think that they need to see Mommy and Daddy as human beings.

While I am saying this a little tongue-in-cheek, freeze tag is a great way to sneak in a workout and some extra activity. It’s true!

Here are 5 additional benefits to playing freeze tag:
1) Speed work: It’s like a fartlek workout – a creative, less structured form of interval training.
2) Agility training: Darting back and forth plus quick changes in direction are sure to increase your agility.
3) Mental training: You have to be in-the-moment and focused. If you’re not, you’re likely to be tagged.
4) Strategic Thinking: You need to strategize how to get around the person who is “It” in order to un-freeze the other players.
5) Teamwork: Building on #4, you have to work together with the other players in other to beat the person who is “It”. Some players need to distract the person who is “It” while others zoom in to un-freeze the other players.

When was the last time you played freeze-tag?

Source: http://www.lovelifesurf.com/freeze-tag/

No comments:

Post a Comment