Thursday, August 21, 2014

TIP: Try This Simple Tip For A More Engaged Game Of Catch


The other day my five-year old son, Carter, asked me if I’d play catch with him. When we started to play, he wasn’t catching and throwing the baseball very well. When I threw the ball to him it glanced off his glove, popped in and out or he wouldn’t even get a glove on it. When he threw the baseball back to me, it was all over the place. I was spending most of my time running after his wild throws.

Carter didn’t seem to be concentrating on our game of catch. A bunch of the neighborhood kids were out running and riding their bikes around, so I figured he was a little distracted. I knew it wasn’t a case of him not wanting to play ball at the moment, because he was the one who asked me.

Make It A Game Within A Game
Then I tried one simple thing. I said, “Hey Carter. Let’s see how many times we can catch and throw the ball without dropping it.”

It was amazing how much more he concentrated on catching and throwing the baseball. The first round we made it to 32. Then 73. Then 97! Before adding this little contest into our game of catch, I bet we didn’t make it to five good catches and throws in a row.

Concentration
It was so funny to see him concentrating on watching the ball all the way into his glove. Then again when he threw it back to me. He did an awesome job of stepping toward his target and looking at my glove the whole time. Plus, he had a lot of fun with it!

I can’t wait to try this at his next practice. I don’t know about you, but my little guy gets distracted a lot while playing catch before practice or games. A lot of times he pays more attention to his teammates playing catch with their dads instead of playing catch with me.

Source: http://www.sportsdadhub.com/try-this-simple-tip-for-a-more-engaged-game-of-catch/

No comments:

Post a Comment